Thursday, March 20, 2014

November 4, 2013: First Week in the Field

My companion is Elder K. Silva.  He has been out in the mission for about 3 months.  He's really good and knows what he is doing.  This week has been extremely hard for me.  This first week has been incredibly difficult on me - probably the hardest week of my life. I don't know what it is but when we are studying in the morning all I can think about is you guys back home. I thought I was home sick in the CTM, but this is so much worse.

What makes it worse is that we are opening up a new area and we don't have much to work with when it comes to people to teach.  Saturday was probably the worst day of the mission me and my companion( who actually was roommates with Josh Wild in the CTM) planned out our day to be talking with an investigator every 30 minutes during the day.  We went to every single house and not a single person wanted to talk today and the other half said they didn't want to learn anymore.  It says in Preach My Gospel, (I think Elder Holland) something like, when your investigator chooses not to have lessons anymore you will be devastated. That pretty much sums it up.

Opening up a new area has been tough because I'm struggling hard to say anything right because I don't have a clue of what my companion or the people are saying, but it has gotten better in the 6 days I've been here. I'm really trying to focus right now on one hour at a time - what I need to do each hour to be a good missionary. I get what you are saying about the first couple months pretty much beat you into the ground because it already has.

Ponta da Praia

My area is Ponta da Praia, which means point of the beach.  The area is average size but we walk probably 10-15 miles a day because we are trying to find people.




Ville da France

 It's a "richer" area.  Neymar Jr who plays for the Brazilian national team and is the star of Brazil  lived in one of the places in my area.  It's called Ville da France on Epitacio Pessoa - it's super nice.

We live on 1177 Pedro Lessa on the third floor.  We have running water that is filtered and we also have a workout gym next door that opens at 5:30 and blasts music haha - awesome.  Its crazy but me and Saturnino are still half companions because we live in the same house, but are in different areas.  In our shower - you can't touch the walls or you will get shocked pretty good. Learned from experience. 

I know why I was called to this mission.  You can watch Disney movies on p-day and listen to Disney music whenever.  'Nuff said there.

Love your missionary,
Elder Chase THurgood

No comments:

Post a Comment