Monday, March 17, 2014

October 11, 2013: Teaching on the Streets of Sao Paulo

Streets of Sao Paulo (Picture from the internet)
This week was really cool. We had the opportunity to go proselyting on the busiest street in Sao Paulo for about 30 minutes.  It was so short because the bus ride took way too long.  We handed out 4 Book of Mormons a piece. It was an awesome experience.  I'm still not good at talking with people I don't know or feel awkward, but I have been praying to get better every day.

I don't know if you remember me telling you about the meat buffet but I think I ate too much food and then drank something that pretty much ruined me for 5 days.  I had the stomach flu slash food poisoning the whole time.  It was rough but I received a blessing and was much better.

Conference this past week was sweet.  It was super cool for me as a missionary to see everything in a different perspective.  My favorite talks were Elder Holland on depression and disabilities.  President Monson's quote about, Teach, Inspire, Motivate. Elder Eyring's story of the grandma asking the lord why her grandson was in jail; that it was so hard for her. Then she heard a voice say, I gave him to you because  I knew you could and would love him no matter his choices.

I also liked Russell M Nelson's talk at the end of conference where he said a phrase that I really liked: 
Decisions Determine Destiny. Triple D. I challenged the district this past week to find out what their purpose is on the mission and this solidified mine.  How bad do you want to be successful is based on the the Decisions that determine your Destiny.

I have 40 minutes to write and generally 11 emails to reply to.  If you send a care package I could care less about what's in there just that it's from you guys is enough for me

 I'm still eating well and gaining weight like crazy. I think at one point I weighed 184which is a little big haha.

Chase with Elder Davis
Me and one of the elders, Elder Davis own the court here.  If we are on the same team its not even fair.  I think I have more chemistry with him after like 4 times playing ball than anyone I ever had before.

He threw an alley oop last night and I slammed it. it was so sick.  then we had about 20 Brazilians come over and watch us play and it was cool.

 The mission is fun but hard.  The days go by so fast here it's crazy but I am getting a lot better at speaking Portuguese.  My companion and I committed our investigator to baptism and they are scheduled to be baptized on the 16th.

 I love you a lot and I think about you all every night for what I'm working for.
Love your missionary,
Elder Thurgood

No comments:

Post a Comment